Tuesday, September 30, 2008

School Years

I am reading a great book right now titled "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv. If anyone wants to know what I am really doing in school, this book explains it perfectly. I joke with people about how my program is play school for grown-ups but it really does have a purpose and I love what I am doing. Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. In class and in my book we have been talking about the value of outdoors and how parents are not allowing their children to have the experiences that they treasure so much in their memories. I have really enjoyed reflecting back on my school years and remember climbing the pear tree when I wanted to 'hide' because I was angry. I remember playing in the vacant lot next door and being so afraid that I would be struck by lightning in a field, I remember going on those bike trips with Dad and learning about the relationship that we have with our Mother Earth and I hope that I can share these experiences with other people. I loved my childhood and I am so glad that Mom let me play outside as well as keep me cultured by helping me learn skills through music. No matter what, I still treasure every chance I get to go trail running. It is so fun and calming and relaxing. Next time you are feeling down on yourself, go outside and play for a while. Right now the leaves are changing and it is the perfect time to flash yourself back to your childhood.

2 comments:

Jedda said...

I just checked out that book, so I will let you know...but I remember fondly the field next door and playing forts and hiding and using Dad's wood pile to build something so we could hide-out during a rain storm...what memories!

Austi said...

That is so funny. I remember you educating us on what to do if there was a lightning storm. Good thing we never had to use that knowledge.