Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pet Peeves

On Monday, I was doing the New York Times Crossword Puzzle and Pet Peeve was one of the words on the puzzle. Since then, I have been a more aware of my pet peeves. While watching the Vice Presidential debate, there was a string that was stroked the wrong way for about ten minutes of the debate. One of the candidates was constantly using the non-word, nucular. I'm sorry, but didn't President Bush get raked over the coals for doing this not too long ago? How on earth could someone in politics not be aware of the words coming out of her mouth? Let me just make this clear, the word is pronounced NU-CLE-AR, not NU-CU-LAR. A couple of other words you should make sure you say and use correctly, height (not pronounced heighth), farther vs. further (constantly misused in the book "Life of Pie), affect vs. effect, yes, clothes has a th in it unless you are referring to a verb describing the motion of a door, well... you get the point. I only ask one thing, if you are going to put yourself on national public television, know what you are saying to insure that you keep your credibility.

No comments: