Thursday, October 29, 2009

Comb Ridge: My Spiritual Rebirth

I recently went to Comb Ridge where I had an incredible experience. I have had experiences like this before but this was just incredible. I wrote in my journal about it to help myself remember the feelings of the places I visited. Ranier Maria Rilke wrote, "...Tell a wise person, or keep silent, because the massman will mock it right away." I feel like this is no more applicable than to this situation. I am glad that the only people that read this are those who care about me because I am going to write things I didn't expect to tell people.

While I was out, I was able to watch the sunrise on Comb Ridge and write in my journal . Although I don't like poetry, I have always been impressed with the way it can express so much with so few words. I wrote my first poem while watching the sun rise.
Awaken
As the sun rises
to awaken the Sleeping Ute
And the Navajo flautest
stirs the depth of my soul
my mind, my heart, become unconcealed.
The rock balances on the spire
and peace with serenity rises.
The awakened arises to greet it.

On the trip, we saw so many ruins and homes of the Native Americans. Finding these was incredible. It showed me that this land is not just beautiful but it supports life and it is sacred. The only thoughts I have been able to write down that I felt came even close to portraying my thoughts were written once I was home from the trip:

"As a young teenager, I spent several weeks pedaling my way through the desert of Southern and Central Utah. The colors, the scents, and experiences embedded themselves into my identity. It was not until my recent return to Comb Ridge that I reawakened that part of my soul. So many times I have tried to explain the reasons why nature feels sacred to me. Upon returning, I realize that interacting with the life-forms that sustain my life and discovering the mutual repsect that lies between us brings me into a state of wholeness and conciousness that I am not often acquainted with. This wholeness brings on a new respect for all the relationships I have- human, nature, meta-physical, and imaginative alike."




If you think what I am saying here is silly or contrived, my only response is to ask you, "When was the last time you were in the desert?" You must go there, sit in solitude, and breathe with the land. Only then will you understand my emotions and my respect for the land so many want to take away. Protect these lands. We are flattening our earth and exploiting our land and as a result, it is disappering under our fingertips.






















3 comments:

Jedda said...

I agree. I love to watch the trees. We have SO MANY big trees around our house. I am in awe as I watch them sway and dance in the wind. It is so calming to me (as long as the storm isn't violent :)

The words to the song that comes to mind are: "Whenever I hear the song of a bird or look at the blue blue sky, Whenever I feel the rain on my face or the wind as it rushes by, Whenever I touch a velvet rose or walk by a lilac tree, I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me."

I love that we are taught to revere nature from the time we are tiny in Primary. You may remember the second verse that starts, "He gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings..." I love that we are taught to love and respect the gift of our bodies too. And the fact that they are 2 verses of the same song ties the two together perfectly, ending with, "He gave me my life, my mind, my heart. I thank Him reverently for all His creations of which I'm apart. Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me." The beautiful creation of your life and this world is indeed proof of a loving Heavenly Father.
I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience.

made sweet said...

beautiful rhielle.

I feel the same way about nature, it only takes a few weeks of sitting in a classroom before I start feeling like i'm slowly dying. (sounds extreme, but really.) when i finally get out in nature again, it's like i remember what it's like to be alive!

ps have you read desert solitaire written by edward abbey? if you haven't, you must.

Willow Withy said...

Well said, Rhielle. I think there are a few things in life that keep me grounded and they all seem to dependent upon exposure to each other: creating, meditating and the influence of nature. In each instance my physical senses are heightened and my spirit celebrates the wholeness of being alive.